This comprehensive 2-day course is particularly suited to parents, family members and those that work with and care for young children or are likely to have to respond to child emergencies at home or in the community. This paediatric first aid course will enable participants to act as a back up to Occupational First Aiders in a childcare facility. Participants will gain the necessary theoretical knowledge and learn a range of practical basic first aid skills enabling them to deal competently and confidently with common injuries and illnesses affecting children and infants. Included in the training are the basic techniques of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), the use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) and the action to take in the event of choking for children.
Course Content/Topics Covered
- Accident Scene Management and Paediatric Casualty Assessment
- Control of bleeding and the treatment of wounds and shock
- Impaired Responsiveness
- Common medical conditions affecting children (Epilepsy, Febrile Convulsions, Meningitis, Diabetes and Allergic Reactions)
- Burns, Scalds, Poisons, Electrical Injuries, Extremes of Heat and Cold
- Fractures, Dislocations, and Soft Tissue Injuries
- CPR for child and Infant
- AED use for children
Our approach to training incorporates both practical and interactive learning, giving the participants the confidence and ability to put theory into practice and to cope with real-life situations that may arise in the workplace, home or community. Our instructors have years of practical experience in front line emergency care and tutoring all levels of learners.
Both the theoretical knowledge and practical skills of the participants are continually assessed by the instructor throughout the course.
Following successful completion of the course participants will be awarded an Order of Malta Training Services “Paediatric First Aid and Basic Life Support” certificate which is valid for 2 years
Course Ideal for
- Parents & Family Members
- Child Care Workers
- Professionals with responsibility for children.
- Any person working with children.
- Any person interested in working in the area of childcare.
No. of Participants
Maximum of 12 learners per class
This course can be provided onsite or at our Training Centre.